Veteran’s Identification Card

Your Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, Form DD214, is one of the most important documents that the Service will ever give you. It is your key to participation in all Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) programs as well as several state and federal programs including:

• Disability Compensation
• Education and Training
• Home Loans
• Loan Guaranty Services
• Vocational Service
• Insurance Services
• Burial & VA Cemeteries

These are just a few of the services that require your discharge papers. You should keep your original document in a safe place, and have certified photocopies available for reference. You can replace your lost discharge papers, but it takes a long time and a lot of effort.

In Ohio, you can record your DD214 with the County Recorder’s Office. BE SAFE. Register your discharge papers with your County Recorder as soon as you separate from the Service. After you record your discharge papers with the Recorder’s Office, they can be easily retrieved if you need additional certified copies. Recording DD214 discharge papers at the Medina County Recorder’s Office is FREE.

Once you have recorded your DD214 at the Medina County Recorder’s Office, you can receive your Veteran’s Identification Card. This card is also FREE! If you have previously filed your DD214 with the Medina County Recorder’s Office, stop by during business hours to receive your Veteran’s Identification Card.